History

1918

The building of a Church was proposed.

19 June1921

Blessed Oliver Plunkett Foundation Stone was laid.

7 August 1921

Opening of Blessed Oliver Plunkett Church by Archbishop D. Mannix of Melbourne.

1925

Blessed Oliver Plunkett parted from Bulimba Parish. Rev J. Hegarty became the first Parish Priest.

7 June 1925

Foundation Stone laid for the Presbytery was laid by Archbishop Duhig.

6 September 1925

Presbytery blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig and Bishop J Heavey of Cairns.

1930s - 1948

Eucharist was also celebrated in the Hemmant Hall.

1946

The Presentation Sisters arrived.

Jan 1947

Classes commenced in the Church.

6 April 1947

Convent blessed and opened at 29 Beauvardia Street by Archbishop Duhig.

6 April 1947

Official opening of the school by Archbishop Duhig.

18 March 1951

School Foundation Stone was laid.

9 March 1952

New school building was blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig at 17 Beauvardia Street.

1952 - 1992

Our Lady of Fatima, Murarrie was a Mass Centre for the parish.

1954 - 1979

Santa Sabina, Morningside was a Mass Centre for the parish.

1955

Presbytery was extended.

1956

Convent was extended.

1960

Confessional room was added to left side of Church.

1960

The block of land at the rear of Church was sold.

1965

The swimming pool was built.

1967

The church was extended.

October 1973

New Church built at Murarrie.

1975

The name of the Church was changed to Saint Oliver Plunkett following the canonization of Blessed Oliver Plunkett by Pope Paul VI.

1984

The school changed from administration by the Presentation Sisters to lay administration.

Dec 1986

The Sisters withdrew from the school.

17 March 1987

The presbytery became the convent and vice versa.

1990

Family Support Centre opened.

24 Dec 1990

The first Mass was celebrated in The Church of the Holy Family, 41 Belmont Road, Tingalpa.

17 February 1991

Church of the Holy Family, Tingalpa was blessed and opened by Archbishop Rush. This Church was built during 1990, and mostly by voluntary labour.

17 February 1991

Extensions of the school were blessed and opened by Archbishop Rush.

1993

The old convent/presbytery/parish office building was replaced with the new office/hall.

1 April 1994

New presbytery and new Administration block were blessed and opened by Auxiliary Bishop E. J. Cuskelly.
2 February 2006
Generous donations from parishoners enabled Fr Mark Percival to commission stained glass windows at St Oliver Plunkett Church. Installed and blessed on the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord.

21 August 2017

The Parish is given over, in perpetuity, to the care of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.

 

Parish Priests

 

Fr John Hegarty

1925 – 1933

Fr W. Kevin Murphy

1933 – 1934

Fr Oliver P. J. O’Beirne, OP

1934 – 1937

Fr John O’Connell

1937 – 1940

Fr Walter Cain

1941 – 1944
1946 – 1949

Fr George Ainslie

1945 – 1946

Fr John K. Kelly

1950 – 1978

Fr Edward Houlihan

1978 – 1990

Fr Peter Casey

1990 – 2001

Fr Mark Percival

2001 – 2017


Fr. Eric Alleaume OMI

2017 - 
   

Assistant Priests

 

Fr William Hogan (Bulimba)

1921

Fr Francis J Duffy, C.Ss.R.

1929 – 1930

Fr Thomas McMannus, C.Ss.R.

1938

Fr Thomas J. Guy

1953 – 1955

Fr Joseph V. Troy

1955 – 1956

Fr Brian V. Burke

1957 – 1966

Fr Joseph McGeehan

1964 – 1966

Fr Graham Elliott

1967 – 1968

Fr Dermott Casey

1968

Fr Edward Houlihan

1969 – 1971

Fr Richard Pascoe

1972 – 1974

Fr Peter G. Casey

1974 – 1975

Fr Val O’Brien, C.S.Sp.

1975

Fr Gary Walker, S.S.C.

1975 – 1976

Fr Liam O’Reilly, S.M.

1978 – 1981

Fr Denis Riley

1981 – 1985

Fr Bernard Costigan

1985

Fr Jack Agnew

1985 – 1989

Fr James Smith

1989 – 1992

Fr Christopher Hanlon

1993 – 1995

Fr Casmir Arul Raj OMI 

2019 - 

Deacons

 

Bruce Little

1992

James O’Brien

1994

Ray Pardo

2006

Contact Details

Parish Office Hours:

 

Tuesday - Friday

9.00am to 2.30pm

21 Beauvardia St

Cannon Hill

QLD 4170

  

Ph: 07 3899 2837

 

Churches:

 

St Oliver Plunkett Church

21 Beauvardia St

Cannon Hill Q 4170

 

Church of the Holy Family

41 Belmont Rd

(Enter via 56 Palgrave St)

Tingalpa QLD 4173

 

Slideshow

STOP6.jpg St. Euguene.jpg 1.jpg STOP5.jpg STOP3.jpg Easter 2019 - sml.jpg STOP2.jpg 3.jpg STOP4.jpg 2.jpg STOP1.jpg oblate-cross.png CHCP.jpg